Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Uncomfortable

Hate to do the whole "don't post forever and then only post when you're upset about something" thing, but here goes...

I just had a really unpleasant guy-hitting-on-me experience. I was alone with a man in the elevator of my apartment building, and he apparently took such a liking to me that he felt compelled to get off at my floor, then hug me and kiss me on the cheek (it seemed like he was going to try to kiss me on the mouth). He kept assuring me, "I'm an attorney," as though that made it all OK. Before I got on the elevator, I was feeling all happy and proud that I had just voted, and when I got back to my apartment, I felt like crying.

Why, WHY did I smile during that whole interaction, even though I was intensely uncomfortable? I didn't want to hurt his feelings. Why should I care, though? He was of a different race, and I didn't want to seem racist. But it wasn't about his race at all! It is always nice to be told I'm beautiful, but the advances were still very much unwanted, so WHY WAS I SMILING?

I'm mad at the guy, sure, but I'm more mad at myself right now. Stupid social conditioning.

No comments:

Post a Comment